TO BE BUILDERS OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD: FROM BUILDING STONES TO LIVING STONES
Our two year process of discerning God's vision for our church is complete and TEAM Christ is pleased to present the following statements which will serve as guiding principles for our ministries:
“Come to him, a living stone, though rejected by mortals yet chosen and precious in God’s sight, and like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house.” -1 Peter 2:4 & 5a
WE WILL BUILD FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD USING THE STONES OF FAITH, HOPE, LOVE, JOY AND PEACE.
The first Living Stone is Faith: “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” - Hebrews 11:1
• We will be people who welcome all in whatever stage they are in their journey of faith. As a congregation we will encourage people to grow in their faith through Education, Worship, Bible Study and Small Groups.
• We are a people of faith committed to pass on our faith from generation to generation. As a congregation we will seek an intergenerational approach to a religious and spiritual life.
• We are people deeply grounded in faith who continue to ask deep and searching questions as we continue to mature in our faithfulness to God and discipleship with Christ.
•We are a people who seek to produce fruit, encourage growth and affirm God’s work.
Progress to date:
1). Dedicated an hour on Sunday morning for the education of all ages.
2). Took a leap of faith in underwriting a major Building Project
3). Improved our children’s area and added new nursery
4). Established a new Family Ministries Coordinator position
We share our second “Living Stone” - Hope: “You are the light of the world.” - Matthew 5:14
• We are people of the light of Christ as we seek to be the light of hope in the darkness of this world.
• We are people who will seek to live out Matthew 25 in reaching the “least of these” to discover the face of Christ.
Offer opportunities for members to participate in hands-on mission projects and trips.
• We are a people who offer time, talent and resources to make manifest God’s love and justice in the world.
Progress to date:
1). Mission trips to Puerto Rico, Henderson Settlement and Redbird Mission
2). Continue to be a Third Mile Rainbow Covenant Church
3). Continue to host and provide leadership for the Ingathering
4). Be a Love INC supporting sponsor
5). Established “We Care” ministry to help babies with the essential needs.
We share our third living stone - Building on love: “Love one another.” John 13:34
• We are people seeking to create an atmosphere of love so that all may be affirmed, nurtured, and encouraged in their faith
• We are people with open hearts, gathering in a building with open doors, and receiving all with open arms.
• We are people who profess boldly the love of God as expressed in and through Christ and that this love is available to all.
Our progress to date:
1) Established new gathering space for fellowship.
2) Created a new “front door” to welcome people coming to our church.
1) To be an inclusive church that welcomes all people who enter our doors.
2) Offer sign language and new hearing enhancement devices for the hard of hearing.
3) Create a “Friend in Faith” program to guests, newcomers, and new members.
4) Provide permanent name tags.
5) Provide parking closer to the church for visitors, expectant mothers, and families with young children. Enlarge our hospitality to beyond our church by having people directing guests, parking, and cars.
6) Offer worship designed for people and families with special needs.
7) Offer and advertise our Grief Support and Stephen Ministry Programs to our community.
8) Improve communication within, throughout, and outside of our church to members,
friends, and community. “Let our light shine.”
9) Effectively communicate important events or prayer concerns with our congregation.
10) Create new points of entry for our church for people to connect with our church
such as youth basketball leagues, moms’ groups, Peace University, parenting
classes, support groups, lecture series, music concerts, etc.
Building on joy: “My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.” John 15:11
• We are people who seek to be joy-filled in our worship, fellowship, and educational opportunities.
• We are joy-filled people in sharing about the good things happening in our church.
• We are joy-filled people who have a faith that is alive and active in all that we do.
• We are joy-filled people in celebrating we offer people choices in the style of worship.
• We are joy-filled people who are not focused on one particular generation, but created so all generations
may worship and learn together.
Progress to date:
1) Established new Fun and Fellowship Committee
2) Established a new home for the Contemporary Worship
1) Cease the “worship war” and celebrate that we offer styles of worship to fit people’s needs.
2) Involve more laity in worship to utilize their gifts and talents, plus help spread their joy.
3) Incorporate drama in worship to help the “word become flesh”.
4) “Let our light shine” that all might see that we are a church, alive and growing.
5) Making worship a priority in keeping it alive, vital, and joy-filled.
6) Utilize every gathering as an opportunity to get better acquainted
Building on peace:
“And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7
• We are people who seek the inner peace that comes from knowing Christ through growing closer to God in prayer, study, and worship.
• We are people who seek to allow the peace of God to permeate all we do through the power of the Holy Spirit working in and through us.
• We are people who strive to mature in our faith so that all who enter our doors will feel the presence of God’s loving hands lifting, comforting, encouraging and supporting them.
• We are people who have discovered the value of community in finding a safe place in the midst of the storms of life.
Our progress to date:
1) Offering more lay-led Bible Studies and prayer groups to provide many opportunities for people to grow in their faith,
closer to God and one another.
2) Created more worship centers and quiet places for people to spend quiet time with God.
3) We provide support and comfort through our Stephen Ministry, parish visitors, and Grief Support programs.
1) Increase our membership because people want to be here once they step into our church.
2) Create a peaceful atmosphere where all are welcomed to our church whether they are
“old-timers or newcomers”.
3) Utilize new methods of leadership that are more about building consensus than division.
4) Begin and end all meetings, activities, programs, and studies with prayer.
5) Challenge laity to be the body of Christ in “being there” for one another in times of need
and grief to help ease the load on the clergy.
6) Encourage studies on the way of peace for ourselves and the world.
7) Utilize our new Chapel for prayer vigils.