Daily Bible Verses
Here's a good source for an online sources daily verse for your meditation:
Reading the Bible
The Holy Bible is a huge work of history, literature and faith. We can devote entire lifetimes to its passages. The Old Testament lays the groundwork for the New Testament, and the New Testament brings conclusion to the Old. The Holy Bible is not necessarily an easy read, but it doesn't have to be difficult, either. Here are some of our tips:
- Don't try to do it all yourself. The Holy Bible is an amazingly complex and interconnected work. Having a study partner, leader or mentor will help you to understand the connections and relationships as you read. Our Sunday School classes and Bible study groups are a great place to start.
- Be patient. Don't expect to breeze right through and absorb it all with the first reading - the bible is too big for that. Sit and think about what you just read. Then read it again.
- Ask questions. When you don't understand something, ask. Your pastor, mentor or leader will help you understand a passage in the larger context of the entire Bible.
- Consider getting a study bible. Study bibles contain the biblical text, as well as interpretive notes in plain language to assist you in understanding, and to lead you to related passages.
- Keep a journal. Record what you have felt as you read, record your questions and your understandings. These notes will be valuable as you review your readings.
- Pray for understanding. We believe the Holy Bible is the word of God, so go ahead and talk to God about your readings. Ask for clarity. Ask for understanding the message in both its original and a modern-day context. Thank God for sharing his word with us.
Your first step will be to get your own Bible, and you'll find there are many different ones available. If you're buying for the first time, we recommend speaking with our Christian Education Director, Jan Hoover, one of our pastors, a well-read Christian friend or the staff at a Christian bookstore. They will be able to give you guidance on the different versions and translations, as well as other biblical study resources.